Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Five sentenced over Phnom Penh grenade attack

Five sentenced over Phnom Penh grenade attack

Suspects in the Phnom Penh grenade attack are guarded by authorities during a press conference at the Ministry of Interior in September last year
Suspects in the Phnom Penh grenade attack are guarded by authorities during a press conference at the Ministry of Interior in September last year. Mech Dara

Five sentenced over Phnom Penh grenade attack

Phnom Penh Municipal Court has delivered life sentences to three people and 30-year jail terms to two more for their roles in a grenade attack in the capital’s Boeung Keng Kang III commune in September last year.

The failed assassination plot left several people injured after the explosive missed its intended target, a shop belonging to 36-year-old Ea Lyhour – the ex-boyfriend of the mastermind – and rolled into street 163 and exploded.

The mastermind, Sok Kimly, 41, and the two men contracted to kill Lyhour – Bun Pheakdey, 32, and Sak Mab, 36 – were on Friday found guilty of premeditated murder and yesterday received life sentences.

Another two – Nou Somban, 33, and Pheakdey’s girlfriend, Bou Sophea, 25 – were found guilty of being accomplices to premeditated murder and were handed 30-year terms.

Reached yesterday, Kimly’s defence lawyer Suy Sokhon – who relayed the information about the sentences – said his client maintained her innocence and would appeal.

“The case has no evidence; she was only accused by others. The suspicions are not real evidence,” Sokhon said. “There was no real evidence like a video clip or an eyewitness, so I requested the court to drop the charge against my client.”

Kimly and three other people were convicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison each in June over a separate failed 2015 plot to shoot the same ex-boyfriend.

“The previous case, I have already appealed, and this case I will appeal too,” the lawyer said, adding that Lyhour had withdrawn his complaint.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on