Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Five sick after bomb exposure in Svay Rieng

Five sick after bomb exposure in Svay Rieng

CMAC head Heng Ratana meets with bomb evacuation teams yesterday in Svay Reing province.
CMAC head Heng Ratana meets with bomb evacuation teams yesterday in Svay Rieng province. Facebook

Five sick after bomb exposure in Svay Rieng

Five people in Svay Rieng’s Koki commune were exposed to what appeared to be a chemical weapon yesterday, a day after officials successfully removed one of two decades-old tear gas bombs located in the same commune.

Heng Ratana, director of the Cambodia Mine Action Centre, said four children around the age of 14 and one adult woman were exposed and are suffering from vomiting, headaches and respiratory difficulties. “It was around 3 kilometres away from our operation. They were checking something in the ground,” Ratana said, adding that officials would investigate further today.

Read more: The day ‘the sky became smoke white’

Ratana also said his team “neutralised” a US-made tear gas barrel bomb, dropped during the Vietnam War, at Koki’s primary school on Wednesday, and will now move on to another such bomb at the town’s pagoda.

Ratana also posted on Facebook yesterday that he met with the head of the National Authority for Chemical Weapons to discuss environmental impact assessments and proper disposal.

The tear gas bombs were discovered in January, but became a political talking point amid escalating tensions between Cambodia and the US.

MOST VIEWED

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial