Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Flood toll expected to rise further, gov’t warns

Flood toll expected to rise further, gov’t warns

A woman paddles her way through her Meanchey district neighbourhood in Phnom Penh last week
A woman paddles her way through her Meanchey district neighbourhood in Phnom Penh last week. HENG CHIVOAN

Flood toll expected to rise further, gov’t warns

Flooding continues to ravage 15 of Cambodia’s 23 provinces, acutely affecting Banteay Meanchey, Battambang, Pailin and Siem Reap, and claiming 83 lives, according to the latest figures released by the National Committee for Disaster Management.

Nhim Vanda, first deputy chairman of the NCDM, confirmed that while 83 people had been found dead as of yesterday, the figure was expected to rise, with more than 800,000 people and 120,000 hectares of land already impacted.

“Floods along National Road 5 became serious [on Tuesday] because of heavy rain at the Thai-Cambodian border,” Vanda said.

Flash floods have hit all 14 districts in Battambang, leading to the evacuation of over 700 families working and residing near Banan district’s Kampong Pouy reservoir, provincial governor Prach Chan said.

“[Yesterday] we decided to evacuate more than 100 people who live and work near Kampong Pouy reservoir because the dam is causing flash flooding and we want to avoid more drownings,” Chan said, adding that 10 people have already drowned in the province. Siem Reap authorities are attempting to combat flooding at Angkor Archaeological Park and the airport by diverting water from the area, town governor Khim Bun Song said.

In Pailin province, flooding had wreaked havoc on thousands of homes, leading to further evacuations yesterday, provincial cabinet chief Sao Sarath, said.

“The floods in Pailin [yesterday] have led to thousands of families being evacuated,” Sarath told the Post.

Mondulkiri, meanwhile, has not only been hit with flooding but also a bout of influenza affecting at least 553 residents, including 72 women and 45 seniors, Koh Nhek district police chief Klout Sophea said.

“Provincial and district health department officials have been sent to cure the villagers and analyse the symptoms,” Nhek said.

Heavy rains and wet weather create a prime breeding ground for what is most likely seasonal influenza, Sonny Krishnan, communications officer at the World Health Organization, said.

“The WHO is helping the Ministry of Health investigate these mild cases of influenza. The increase of cases is not unexpected in this weather,” he said.

Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday cancelled the annual Water Festival citing flooding.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY MOM KUNTHEAR AND THIK KALIYANN

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong