Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Flooding’s toll still growing




Flooding’s toll still growing

Villagers in Ratanakkiri province’s O’Chum district stand behind a collapsed bridge as floodwaters in the region swelled last week.
Villagers in Ratanakkiri province’s O’Chum district stand behind a collapsed bridge as floodwaters in the region swelled last week. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Flooding’s toll still growing

Nearly 2,000 families have been evacuated from their homes and thousands of hectares of crops flooded in the wake of continuing rains and the opening of dams in Vietnam and Thailand.

At least two people have died since Friday in the flooding, which has affected at least six provinces.

In Stung Treng province, 1,597 families have been evacuated to higher land, Duon Pov, director of the provincial administration hall, said yesterday. Separately, at least 3,400 hectares of rice and several hundred hectares of other crops have been flooded in four districts, Touch Thea, director of the Stung Treng provincial agriculture department, said.

“The agro-industrial crops such as cassava may be destroyed, because they have been flooded for a few days. Whereas it is not yet known if the rice has been destroyed [or just damaged],” he said.

In Thailand, the opening of dams led to heavy flooding in three villages in O’Beichoan commune in Banteay Meanchey’s O’Chrou district, said district administrative police chief Chhun Sorngly. More than 300 families have been moved to safer areas since Friday, he said.

“Water got stuck in Thailand, and they opened the floodgates, which caused serious flooding on Friday and Saturday. People had to be evacuated and their hoofed animals had to be tied along the roads,” he said.

Authorities used three high-speed boats to evacuate people, he said, adding that no one had drowned as of yesterday.

Officials were now preparing for the expected opening of another flood gate in the coming days.

In Ratanakkiri, 73 families from Lumphat district were moved to four safe zones, said Deputy Provincial Governor Nab Bunheng.

“Last week, the Vietnamese authorities informed us to take precautions, because they opened a water gate,” he said.

O’Yadav District Governor Dork Sar said he already spoke with villagers about safety during the floods. On Sunday, a 25-year-old ethnic Jarai villager drowned while walking through a canal.

An estimated 1,000 families have been affected by the floods, but none have been evacuated in his district yet, Sar said.

More than 3,000 metres of roads were flooded in Oddar Meanchey and most of them are now impassable, officials said. But while 570 homes have been flooded, no evacuations have yet occurred.

“It is a flood due to rains on Friday and Saturday, not a flood from Thailand,” clarified Thon Nol, Samroang governor, adding that waters have begun to recede.

A 51-year-old was killed by electrical shock when walking through floodwaters in his home, Nol said.

In Kratie province, Chet Borey and Kratie town saw more than 1,000 people and thousands of cattle evacuated to higher ground, district police official Sao Kim Hort said.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,