Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Floods ‘not a threat to rice goal’

Floods ‘not a threat to rice goal’

Floods ‘not a threat to rice goal’

Cambodia is on track to exceed its rice-production targets for 2010 despite torrential rain and flash flooding that inundated large parts of the country last month.

Speaking on the sidelines of a rural development forum in Phnom Penh, Agriculture Minister Chan Sarun said he was “optimistic” this year’s output of paddy would top last year’s total by about 70,000 hectares.

“I am pleased to say that although Cambodia has been affected by the floods recently, it has not affected our rice,” he said.

“Instead, the number of our rice products will be higher than last year because we have been planting more rice fields than we planned to.”

He said the ministry had originally planned to plant roughly 2.28 million hectares of rice fields, but had actually planted 2.39 million hectares.

Flooding, which began on October 10, affected about 70,000 hectares of rice fields and destroyed 6,000 in 13 cities and provinces, he said, citing a preliminary report received by his ministry.

Yang Saing Koma, president of the Cambodian Centre for Study and Development in Agriculture, said the effect of the flooding on this year’s rice crop had been small.

“I think that the floods have not seriously affected Cambodia’s rice paddy,” he said.

“ So I agreed with the Minister of Agriculture that rice will be good and its production will increase this year.”

Keo Vy, director of the National Committee for Disaster Management, said unofficial statistics indicated that 4,553 hectares of additional crops – including cassava, sesame and soybeans – had been affected, and that some 10,000 hectares of rice fields had been destroyed, a figure higher than that offered by Chan Sarun.
He added that the report including the statistics had not been finalised.
In addition to crops, the floods had affected 30,355 homes, and six people had died, he said.
A total of nine deaths have been recorded unofficially.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from