At least 50 people including 47 students at the Pongro Secondary School in Kampong Thom province’s Stoung district suffered food poisoning on Monday and were rushed to the hospital for emergency treatment.
A student, Na Srey Khuoch, 14, said she ate rice purchased from a stall owned by Eang Thavy, a teacher at the school in Kampong Chen Choeung commune, and became sick when she arrived home.
“I had a stomach ache and vomited,” she said, adding that she is recovering after receiving treatment at the hospital.
Commune police chief Kruoch Sophorn said the teacher who owned the stall and his deputy police chief Sen Pesith were among those who were treated at the hospital.
He said Pesith fell sick after drinking bottled water bought from another stall while sending students to the hospital.
He said before the incident, the victims had consumed pork rice, milk coffee and bottled water. They fell ill about an hour later.
He said they suffered stomach aches, nausea and diarrhoea, among other symptoms.
“The students said they bought food from a stall owned by Thavy,” he added.
Doctors had collected samples of the food from the school for examination, but have not released the results as of press time.
In May, 75 people fell ill after they ate bread filled with egg, meat and other ingredients in Kratie province.