Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Foreign ministers forecast gradual temple resolution




Foreign ministers forecast gradual temple resolution

Foreign ministers forecast gradual temple resolution

Heng Chivoan

A Cambodian soldier sits with his automatic rifle only a few metres of Thai troops at Preah Vihear

C ambodia and Thai foreign ministers emerged from epic crisis talks in Siem Reap earlier this week with a recommendation that troops from both countries be withdrawn from disputed territory near Preah Vihear temple in a move that is hoped to end a military stand off that is entering its third week.

Following 12 hours of talks on Monday, the ministers announced an agreement to return to their governments with recommendations for a quick drawdown of their respective troops from Preah Vihear and the nearby disputed 4.8 square kilometres, which encompass a pagoda Thai troops have occupied during the faceoff.

However, they did not state any concrete plans for troop reduction, and Thai and Cambodian military leaders remain uncommitted to withdrawal, saying they had yet to receive orders from above.

The next step: more talks between the two foreign ministers.

“We cannot solve all the problems in one meeting,” Cambodian Foreign Minster Hor Namhong said. “We need to do it step-by-step, but the first and most important issue is redeploying troops away from the temple area.”

His Thai counterpart Tej Bunnag agreed, saying, “I will immediately make a report to send to the [Thai] Council of Ministers.”

Aside from agreeing to recommend military withdrawals and to meet again among themselves, the ministers said they would also request an urgent convention of the Joint Commission on Demarcation of Land Boundary and the establishment of a temporary special task force, not unlike the group assembled to oversee compensation for Thai interests damaged in the 2003 nationalist riots.

They also agreed to recommend that their governments expedite the demining of border areas needing to be surveyed and demarcated.

Hor Namhong said Cambodia would continue to sit on its complaints to the UN Security Council over what Cambodia sees as a Thai incursion into its territory. The complaint was suspended after both sides agreed to Monday’s talks.

“Now that the meeting has moved forward, I understand we should postpone our complaint to the UN for a while,” he said.

In Phnom Penh on Tuesday, Prime Minister Hun Sen placed the burden of cooperation on the Thai side, claiming Cambodia is ready to resolve the matter.

“We understand the difficulty of our Thai friends, who must ask permission and discuss with their government and other institutions about Thailand’s internal affairs.

“So this problem is about how long the Thais need to ask for a political decision from the Thai government. For our side, it is no problem. The problem is: When will Thailand decide to take action?”

(Additional reporting by Mum Kuntear)

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that