Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Foreign Ministry strikes back at Subedi remarks

Foreign Ministry strikes back at Subedi remarks

Foreign Ministry strikes back at Subedi remarks

Foreign Ministry spokesman Koy Kuong yesterday defended the independence of Cambodia’s judiciary following concerns raised by a UN official about the whirlwind imprisonment of 11 activists arrested for protesting last week.

Kuong accused Surya Subedi, the UN's special rapporteur for human rights, of making a habit of wrongly characterising normal court decisions as rights violations, following a statement Subedi released Tuesday.

“Professor Subedi has always urged Cambodia to follow the rule of law and for the judiciary to be independent,” Kuong told reporters. “But every time the court does its work, [Subedi] condemns it as a human rights or freedom of speech violation.”

The court had its “own procedures”, Kuong added, and made decisions that ensured “those who commit the crimes receive the penalties”.

Subedi’s office released a statement Tuesday accusing the government of judicial harassment for political purposes.

The government, he said, needed to “respect the law and the principle of judicial independence”, while the judiciary should carry out its work independent of outside influence.

“It saddens me to see the courts being used again and again as a tool of the executive,” Subedi said.

His words were in response to 10 land activists and one monk being sentenced to a year in prison little more than 24 hours after their arrests at two protests in Phnom Penh last week.

“The timing in which these individuals were arrested, charged and convicted seem to be all well calculated,” he said. He also raised concerns about charges brought against 17 opposition members over violence in Freedom Park in July.

The treatment of the 11 and the arrest of two other monks in Phnom Penh last Wednesday has drawn heavy criticism.

Opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmaker Mu Sochua said yesterday that Phnom Penh Municipal Court had granted her and five other opposition lawmakers permission to visit the activists in Prey Sar prison.

“We will tell them that we support them and stand for them as elected representatives,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the