Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Foreigner blacklist defended

Foreigner blacklist defended

Foreigner blacklist defended

THE Minister of Women's and Veteran's Affairs, Mu Sochua, has defended the Government's

announcement on September 11 that it will establish a permanent "blacklist"

of suspected foreign rapists and child-sex predators as "a necessity to protect

Cambodian women and children".

"Halting the trafficking of women and children is a priority for our Government,"

Sochua told the Post in an interview on September 12.

"When the justice system doesn't deliver justice to victims, the executive branch

must do it."

However it is a move that has been criticized by some human rights workers who say

it is outside the rule of law and does not address the real problems.

"Once again it is the rule of arbitrary decision," one rights worker said.

"It won't overcome the fact that what is needed here is a functioning court

system."

According to Sochua, an interministerial committee with the participation of child

protection NGO representatives would be given the power to bar foreign child-sex

suspects from receiving or renewing a Cambodian visa.

Insisting that the proposed committee would evaluate the visa status of foreign child

sex suspects "on a case by case basis", Sochua said the committee's priority

would be to blacklist foreign child-sex suspects who had been freed or acquitted

by a Cambodian court.

"We'll request the Ministry of Interior to forward the details of each case,

then we'll take a look at the decision of the court," she said.

"If we see a lot of inconsistencies in the procedure of the court, then we'll

take action."

Sochua's announcement of the blacklist's creation came in the wake of an interministerial

meeting at the Council of Ministers on September 11 called by Hun Sen to address

a growing public perception of the inability or unwillingness of the Cambodian judiciary

to prosecute and convict foreign child-sex suspects.

That perception was supported by Sochua herself, citing numerous recent cases in

which foreign sex suspects have been freed from custody before facing trial.

"If courts don't provide protection, who will?" Sochua said of the Government's

plan to create the blacklist. "[The] Justice [system] doesn't give women and

children the right protection, so an administrative measure should."

The proposed introduction of a visa blacklist for child sex suspects was supported

by Chantol Oung, Executive Director of the Cambodian Women's Crisis Center.

"If you look at the Cambodian court system and how they handle cases [of foreigner

child sex suspects], I really support the decision of the minister," Oung said,

saying that only one out of at least 30 cases CWCC has documented in the past three

years involving foreigners charged with child-sex offenses resulted in a conviction.

"Cambodian courts are not trustworthy, so we must do something special [against

foreign child suspects]."

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on