Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Forest loss data show 2016 increase



Forest loss data show 2016 increase

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Source: Hansen/UMD/Google/USGS/NASA

Forest loss data show 2016 increase

Newly released satellite imagery shows that Cambodian forests were cleared in 2016 at a rate 30 percent higher than in 2015 – despite Military Police forming a special task force to undertake a yearlong crackdown on illegal logging that same year.

The new data, released by the University of Maryland, tracks forest cover loss globally using satellite imagery. Results showed that not only was 2016 worse than 2015, but of the 16 years for which deforestation was recorded, last year was the fourth worst – with around 200,000 hectares lost. The imagery also puts into view the rampant logging that has occurred in the country’s northeast, which has been a conduit for illegal exports of timber to Vietnam.

The uptick in forest loss over both 2014 and 2015 levels coincides with the formation of a committee to quell illegal logging and illegal timber exports to Vietnam, headed by National Military Police Commander Sao Sokha.

Throughout last year, Prime Minister Hun Sen and Environment Minister Say Samal assured the nation that the rapid decline of Cambodia’s forests had stopped, despite numerous reports to the contrary.

For instance, a recent investigation by the Environmental Investigation Agency, released this May, found evidence of coordinated logging operations in Ratanakkiri province in which Cambodian and Vietnamese officials were paid off to clear the way for approximately 100 timber trucks to cross the border each day in December and January.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Marcus Hardtke, a long-time anti-logging activist, said the new data showed that Virachey National Park was still suffering logging problems and that deforestation was encroaching on the Prey Lang Wildlife Sanctuary from both the north and south.

He said multiple statements and pledges of action against forest crimes had been made over the years – dating as far back as the UNTAC period in the early 1990s – but that nothing had happened.

“What we are seeing is not surprising, and the increases are present in hotspots, including the protected areas,” he said.

Reached yesterday, Environment Minister Say Samal questioned the new findings, saying they didn’t match with his official data, but he did not provide details of those statistics.

Anti-logging task force spokesman Eng Hy declined to answer questions on the new findings before hanging up the phone. “I am not a forest monitor, but a forest crime crackdown [official],” he said.

Keo Omalis, spokesman for the Agriculture Ministry’s Forestry Administration, said he had not seen the report, but again claimed that deforestation was declining.

“Between 2010 and 2014 we lost a lot of forest because we granted ELCs [economic land concessions] for planting rubber trees, but later on, the loss of forest decreases,” he said.

To noted environmentalist Ouch Leng, the taskforce seems to have looked the other way when high-profile tycoons or government officials were involved in the trade. “The thing is that the protection of the forest is only on paper, but timber traders and okhnas [tycoons] are still doing their activities.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and