Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Former Cambodia Daily reporters charged with ‘incitement’

Former Cambodia Daily reporters charged with ‘incitement’

Former Pate Commune Chief Rmam Yout (right), seen with CPP commune chief-elect Chhay Thy, filed a court complaint against two Cambodia Daily journalists for seemingly routine election coverage.
Former Pate Commune Chief Rmam Yout (right), seen with CPP commune chief-elect Chhay Thy, filed a court complaint against two Cambodia Daily journalists for seemingly routine election coverage. Facebook

Former Cambodia Daily reporters charged with ‘incitement’

Two former Cambodia Daily journalists have been charged with “incitement to commit a felony” over seemingly routine commune election coverage in Ratanakkiri.

The news comes a month after the paper was forced to close after the Tax Department slapped the English-language daily with a bill for $6.3 million.

The journalists, Aun Pheap and Zsombor Peter, now face up to two years in prison after Ratanakkiri Prosecutor Chea Pich laid charges on August 28 and sent the case to an investigating judge. Their defence lawyer, Sek Sophorn, however, said he was only notified of the charges yesterday.

Former Sam Rainsy Party Commune Chief Rmam Yout, along with two other villagers, alleged Pheap and Peter intended to “incite” by interviewing them about why Pate commune had previously elected the opposition party, but Sophorn said his clients’ questions were routine reporting and in no way amounted to incitement.

“According to my clients, they just interviewed them normally. They did not incite or commit any crimes,” he said. “There are no grounds for a crime.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said