Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Forum calls for speedy land dispute resolutions



Forum calls for speedy land dispute resolutions

Land activists protest at the Ministry of Land Management earlier this year in Phnom Penh.
Land activists protest at the Ministry of Land Management earlier this year in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

Forum calls for speedy land dispute resolutions

Visible and, more importantly, speedy results are necessary if people are to have faith in recent government pledges to expedite Cambodia’s numerous land disputes, activists and rights workers said yesterday.

Speaking at a forum on the urban poor organised by land rights group Sahmakum Teang Tnaut, participants said that despite Land Minister Chea Sophara’s creation of working groups tasked with resolving land disputes, the pace was still sluggish.

“People can trust the ministry’s mechanisms if conflict resolution happens faster than this,” said Um Sam Ath, technical coordinator at Licadho.

“The conflicts will be stuck if the high-ranking officials are involved,” he added, pointing to a long-running Kampong Chhnang land dispute in which a company owned by the wife of the minister of mines and energy was accused of seizing villagers land.

Theng Savoeun, general secretary of the Coalition of Cambodia Farmers Community, added that land disputes had spread like a “cancer” in Cambodia and urged those affected to keep voicing their grievances.

While ministry spokesman Seng Lot could not be reached yesterday, he recently told Radio France International that land disputes had dropped 90 percent, a claim that has been widely contested.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year