Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four arrested in Poipet over teen’s kidnapping



Four arrested in Poipet over teen’s kidnapping

A man sits at a Banteay Meanchey police station yesterday after he was arrested for his involvement in a Poipet kidnapping. Photo supplied
A man sits at a Banteay Meanchey police station yesterday after he was arrested for his involvement in a Poipet kidnapping. Photo supplied

Four arrested in Poipet over teen’s kidnapping

Banteay Meanchey immigration police yesterday arrested four Chinese nationals for allegedly kidnapping a Chinese teenager and holding him for ransom in the border town of Poipet, according to local officials.

Deputy provincial police chief O Lon, who is in charge of immigration issues, said police detained the men at Star Vegas hotel after receiving a complaint from the victim’s mother in China.

The victim, 17-year-old Li Yinin, was also found at the hotel, where local news reported he had been kept for two months before calling his mother to convey a demand for more than $9,000 as ransom.

Lon said that the complaint had been sent via the immigration department at the Ministry of Interior, but declined to identify the suspects or go into details of the case. “We do not know yet who is linked to what crime as we are questioning them,” O Lon said.

“We arrested [the men] following the complaint by his mother. She said her son was kidnapped, but we cannot say whether it is true because we are in the process of investigation. His mother said the suspects demaded 1 million yuan [$9,270], but we cannot confirm.”

Uk Hai Sela, head of the ministry’s immigration investigation bureau, confirmed the arrest was carried out by Banteay Meanchey police but declined to comment further.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese