More than 100 workers across four garment factories in Phnom Penh, Kandal and Takeo provinces fainted yesterday.
National Social Security Fund (NSSF) officials said 45 workers at C N Prosperous Garment (Cambodia) Co Ltd in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district fainted yesterday, after more than 90 workers there fainted on Tuesday.
But NSSF inspectors noted fans and proper ventilation at the factory, declaring it up to standard, NSSF spokesman Cheav Bunrith said yesterday.
“The [NSSF inspection] team promotes occupational safety, health care, sanitation, safety for workers,” he said.
At Vonammy (Cambodia) Garment Co in Takeo province, 29 people fainted yesterday, a day after 65 people fainted due to food poisoning, Bunrith said.
Meanwhile, 14 people at Crystal Martin (Cambodia) Limited in Kandal province also fainted yesterday after smoke from a small electrical fire “caused workers to become fearful and pass out”.
Thirty workers at Quint Major Industrial Co Ltd (QMI) in Kandal province also fainted yesterday, according to the NSSF.
Workers who were examined by a local doctor after fainting were found to be running a fever, said Sieng Sokun, a representative of the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union at the factory.
The mass fainting at QMI Industrial yesterday was the latest in a string of similar incidents there in recent weeks, Sokun said.
“On June 29, 43 fainted; on June 30, 46 fainted; on July 1, 19 fainted; and 30 people fainted today,” Sokun said.
He added that managers tried to stop workers who fainted from going home for the day.
However, QMI administrator Hin Soklina denied the allegation.
Contact PhnomPenh Post for full articlePost Media Co Ltd
The Elements Condominium, Level 7
Hun Sen Boulevard
Phum Tuol Roka III
Sangkat Chak Angre Krom, Khan Meanchey
12353 Phnom Penh
Tel: +855(0) 23 888 161 / 162
Fax: +855(0) 23 214 318