Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four maids to come home from Malaysia



Four maids to come home from Malaysia

Four maids to come home from Malaysia

Four Cambodian workers will be repatriated from Malaysia this week and next – including an 18-year-old who had been detained at the notorious Juru detention centre, which has been embroiled in allegations of torture and inmate deaths.

Two other maids arrived on Friday, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Sok Kha, one of the four scheduled to return, had been detained at Juru since July 1 for not having a passport, ministry spokesman Chum Sounry said.

It was not immediately clear if the four had gone to Malaysia prior to or following last year’s lifting of a long-standing ban on the sending of domestic workers that was instituted amid allegations of abuse.

“Cambodia’s Embassy in Malaysia’s duty is to help all Cambodians, regardless of . . . whether they were there illegally or legally,” he said.

Ros Mithona, 28, and Em Sun, 29, arrived on Friday. Khim Sroeun, 32, and Kheam Sa, 41, are scheduled to arrive on Thursday. Kha will arrive on September 21, while 28-year-old Hoeun Sokla, who was jailed since February for using an expired passport, will return on September 23.

Most of the workers were cheated by their brokers, according to the ministry.

Moeun Tola, executive director of labour rights group Central, yesterday said the group is continuing to conduct its own investigation into the Juru allegations after the Malaysian Enforcement Agencies Integrity Commission and the Human Rights Commission recently declared them baseless.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year