Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four men accused of breaking terms of bail

Four men accused of breaking terms of bail

Four men accused of breaking terms of bail

FOUR men who were released on bail late last year after being detained a year earlier in connection with a land dispute in Ratanakkiri province were summoned to court yesterday after allegedly breaching the terms of their release.

The men, from Ratanakkiri’s Lumphat district, were originally charged in relation to an ongoing land dispute with the DM Group rubber firm, which erupted in a violent protest in November 2008.

Ratanakkiri provincial court’s presiding judge Thor Saron said the men had been summoned for causing social disorder, incitement and failing to attend weekly meetings at the local commune office in line with the terms of their bail agreement.

“I am calling them to court to question them because they did not respect their bail agreement with the court,” he said.

“Their actions affect social security, create disorder and incite other people, creating disorder in society.”

He would not say whether the men would be detained, but he suggested that they may instead be educated about violating the terms of their bail.

Since 2007, villagers have claimed 260 hectares of land within DM Group’s rubber plantation, saying it previously belonged to the community.

When contacted yesterday, all four men denied they had breached their bail, arguing that they had merely circulated petitions protesting the alleged annexation of their land by DM Group.

“We just collected thumbprints to demand our land back,” Sin Vev, one of the four men, said yesterday.

He said the group had collected more than 60 thumbprints opposing the company, and he denied having failed to attend weekly meetings at the commune office.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from