Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four sentenced for roles in Preah Vihear ELC protest



Four sentenced for roles in Preah Vihear ELC protest

Villagers sit outside a Preah Vihear court earlier this month after being questioned about the destruction of a company’s fence. Photo supplied
Villagers sit outside a Preah Vihear court earlier this month after being questioned about the destruction of a company’s fence. Photo supplied

Four sentenced for roles in Preah Vihear ELC protest

The Preah Vihear Provincial Court yesterday sentenced four men for burning a contentious fence during a 2014 protest against an economic land concession (ELC) in Kulen district held by the FP Malaysia (Cambodia) Plantation.

Srayong Cheung village residents Sing Dy, Huon Chan Thoeun, Touch Sam Bul and Koy Chamroeun, who had been identified as the ringleaders, were given one-year suspended sentences and 1 million riel fines ($250), according to provincial prosecutor Ly Lon.

“For one year they must not commit any crimes or they will actually be behind bars,” Lon said, adding that the four had 30 days to launch an appeal.

The four have also been ordered to pay $62 in damages each to FP Malaysia, who had originally demanded $7,500 in compensation for the damage.

Charges against eight co-defendants were dropped.

Thoeun yesterday called the verdict an “injustice” and said he and the other three accused were too poor to pay the fine and damages, adding that they were discussing whether to take their appeal to the court or directly to the prime minister.

Lor Chan, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, echoed Chan Thoeun’s sentiments.

“Even though the prison sentence is suspended, it is still an injustice,” Chan said.

FP was not reachable for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.