Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four underage snatch thieves due in court

Four underage snatch thieves due in court

Four underage snatch thieves due in court

Chamkarmon district police in the capital will send four underage suspects to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday after they arrested the group on Sunday at Koh Pich Exhibition Centre on accusations of bag snatching.

Chamkarmon district deputy police chief Chhuon Meach Simolin said on Tuesday that the suspects committed many cases of snatch thefts in two districts – Sen Sok and Chamkarmon.

“We plan to send them to the court on February 26 as we are still questioning them one by one,” he said.

Meach Simolin said at about 2pm on February 11, the suspects snatched a handbag from a foreign couple in Tuol Tompoung I commune in Chamkarmon district. They then escaped on motorbikes.

After the crime, police investigated the case, collecting information from witnesses and noting the registration plate numbers of the suspects to identify them.

At about 10:30pm on Sunday, police arrested a total of eight suspects on Koh Pich. But after they questioned them, only four were found to be involved in the snatch theft and the rest were released.

However, police could not make their identifications public because they are minors and the court has not charged them yet.

“They confessed that they were students, but they dropped out of school. Their ages are between 15 and 17,” Meach Simolin said.

The suspects confessed that they snatched the bag from the foreigners in Tuol Tompoung I commune and from many other victims in the other two districts, Meach Simolin said.

Earlier this month, Ministry of Interior secretary state Sak Setha pushed the relevant authorities to act against all types of crimes across the country after a ministry report showed that they had increased last year compared to 2018.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old