Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fourteen home after repatriation



Fourteen home after repatriation

Fourteen home after repatriation

Fourteen Cambodians, including three children, were repatriated last month from China and Malaysia after embassies in those countries worked with local authorities to rescue them.

In a statement released on Monday, Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Chum Sounry said the Cambodian embassy in Kuala Lumpur cooperated with Malaysian authorities to prepare the return of seven nationals, four women and three men, who were working as housemaids, and one of the women’s children.

Their visas had expired and they sought help from the embassy to return home, said Sounry. They were from Phnom Penh and Kampong Thom, Kratie, Takeo and Battambang provinces.

“The embassy had issued the Malaysian immigration office with official letters to facilitate their return between June 23 and 29,” he said.

Sounry also confirmed that the Cambodian Embassy in Beijing had worked with Chinese authorities to repatriate four women from Kampong Cham, Takeo and Prey Veng provinces.

He said they had entered into arranged marriages with the help of an illegal broker. One of the women even conceived a child. Unhappy in their marriages, the four women sought help to be returned home.

“The [Cambodian] embassy provided places to stay and food, and helped with documents. They returned on the night of June 28,” Sounry said.

Moeurn Tola, executive director of anti-trafficking NGO Center for Alliance of Labor and Human Rights, said he supported embassy involvement when Cambodians are victimised abroad.

But he wondered whether the government had plans to prevent so many Cambodians falling for fraudulent or illegal schemes.

“The deceptions still continue to happen. Do we have strategies to prevent them from happening again? The punishment for brokers is not strong either. And only minor brokers get punished, while the major ones remain untouched,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could