Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Free buses to province planned



Free buses to province planned

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Phnom Penh city bus makes its way through traffic last year. The government says it would provide free bus services during Pchum Ben week.

Free buses to province planned

The Phnom Penh municipal government has announced a plan to provide limited free bus services along national roads during the Pchum Benh week.

The plan will see 120 buses deployed to “ease people’s travels during the holiday”, the capital’s City Hall said in a statement.

The buses, to be used for interprovincial journeys, are set to run from October 6-11 and will leave Phnom Penh at 5:30am after their seats are filled, it said.

Several routes along the Kingdom’s national roads will be served by the buses which will start their journeys from multiple departure points on the outskirts of Phnom Penh and will stop at the provincial halls of each province as they drive through.

Departure locations are near the Mercedes showroom on Hun Sen Boulevard for National Road 1 and 2; in front of Century Plaza Market for National Road 3 and 4; near the new Freedom Park in Russey Keo for National Road 5; close to the roundabout across the Chroy Changvar bridge, near Chroy Changvar Satellite City for National Road 6 and 7; and at the Km9 bus stop for national road 8.

The municipality will assign 10 buses each to national roads 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7; 15 each to national roads 6 and 8; and 40 for National Road 5.

City Hall spokesman Met Meas Pheakdey said the programme is aimed at “helping people meet their families during Pchum Ben by reducing their travel expenses and minimising traffic accidents.

“This is a present from Prime Minister Hun Sen. He wishes everyone a happy and safe journey on their visit to see their families in the provinces,” he said.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability executive director Sorn Chey appreciated the local government’s initiative to provide bus services during the holiday.

However, he suggested that the government needs to set a clear schedule and stopping points to make it easy for passengers.

Moreover, he also suggested the government should take into account the people who live far away from the national roads.

“I suggest the government assist the people whose houses are situated far from the main roads. There’s no public transportation that would take them directly to their homes."

“They still need to pay for a motor taxi to take them there, which is inconvenient. They want to avoid the hassle, so they might opt for private buses eventually,” said Chey.

A similar initiative was carried out by the government during this year’s Khmer New Year in April.

The decision to pilot a free bus service came after years of the prime minister urging transportation companies to not hike prices during popular travel seasons.

In addition to the long-distance bus services, the municipal government also announced the deployment of 95 of the city’s public buses to ferry passengers across Phnom Penh at no charge from October 8-10.

Earlier in April, the Japanese government promised to add 80 units to the city’s fleet of public buses. The Chinese government has also provided around 100 public buses since July last year, said Meas Pheakdey.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital