Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Free SR school rations not pilfered, WFP says

Free SR school rations not pilfered, WFP says

Free SR school rations not pilfered, WFP says

Allegations that a Siem Reap primary school director was pilfering food rations from his school and reselling them for profit have left a small village outraged this week.

No one’s sure who started the rumour, but it prompted an investigation yesterday by the provincial Education Department, police and sponsors Plan International and World Food Programme (WFP).

“We received a letter indirectly, not from the person who wrote it,” said Ung Serei Dy, provincial education director. “We sent a committee to investigate the accuracy of the claims.”

But after interviewing more than 30 students, teachers and parents, the committee failed to unearth complaints.

The school feeding program at Sleng Spean Primary School started in 2003. Students receive a hot breakfast, and 350 poor students take home about 30 kilograms of food per quarter to help their families afford school, according to Plan International.

“The accusation was that this gentleman had been misusing the school food rations, and that’s unsubstantiated,” said Jin Iwata, WFP in Cambodia’s director of communications. “What we did find, was a discrepancy in the record keeping for about 2 kilograms of canned fish . . . It has been agreed that the school will compensate that discrepancy.”

Though the investigation is considered complete and the school director exonerated, he did admit yesterday to another, potentially more mercenary, blunder: selling the rations for school supplies.

“The food, fish cans, rice… I sometimes sold it when we needed money to buy equipment to repair the school,” said director Cheb Sarom, clarifying that he received permission from local officials prior to making any purchases.

“I can guarantee 100 per cent that I am not lying to get benefits from this program.”

While provincial education director Dy corroborated the claims, it caused the WFP to do a double take: “We were not aware and as far as I know he would not get permission for that,” Iwata said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • Sam Rainsy, government group set to clash at IPU Geneva meet?

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy has been invited to speak at the General Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in Geneva, according to a former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) lawmaker. A government delegation is also set to attend the meeting, a National Assembly press release