Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - French adopters stranded

French adopters stranded

French adopters stranded

Fifteen French families are stuck in Phnom Penh after Cambodia expanded the moratorium

on international adoptions. That was according to a notice published on a French

government website.

"After the American authorities decided the adopters must cease processing the

adoption of Cambodian children, they requested the Cambodian government not grant

passports to adopted children," states the February 18 notice. It goes on to

explain that the ban on processing US cases for adoption had been expanded to a blanket

ban for all potential adopters.

"The Cambodian government extended this measure to all adopted children and

almost 15 French families must stay with their children in Phnom Penh," it said.

The French adoption system is lengthier and more complex than the US system and bans

the use of adoption "facilitators" in line with the Hague Convention on

adoptions.

The notice warned potential adopters not to go outside the law.

"The difficulties shouldn't incite candidates for adoption to avoid the general

processes or request services of people not officially responsible for adoption,"

it said. "We must recall that the French rules condemn the use of adoption intermediaries."

The French embassy did not respond to written requests for further information, but

the Post understands the measure affects around 200 French families who are at various

stages of adopting Cambodian children. According to the website 240 adoptions were

completed in 2000. Until February 11, 2002, 45 French visas had been granted for

adopted Cambodian children.

A notice posted on the US Immigration and Naturalization Service [INS] website February

19 states the "Cambodian authorities have acknowledged that the US Government's

concerns were justified". The US had previously suggested that document fraud

and baby selling were a feature of Cambodia's adoption system.

The statement announced the INS has sent a task force to discuss measures with the

government to ensure future adoptions are dealt with in a way "consistent with

US law."

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The