Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - French Embassy replies



French Embassy replies

French Embassy replies

G ERARD Bouan's successor as press attache at the French Embassy Franck Gellet said he was "quite surprised" to hear of witnesses statements that Bouan had held a child in the path of flying bullets.

Gellet also denied knowledge of a $10,000 settlement between the Frenchman and Sok Seng, the grandmother left to bring up the two remaining children in the Sao family.

Bouan's departure from Cambodia on the day he signed a deal with Seng was "coincidental," said Gellet.

"He had already come to the end of his term here," said Gellet, adding that Bouan had left in a very shocked state.

Gellet refused to go into detail about the incident but said Bouan had been targeted solely because of his car, not because he was a diplomat.

Such accidents were not usual, the new press attache said. "I would not regard it as a particularly important matter.

"It's a case of stealing a car which unfortunately went wrong.

"It is not interesting. It is a family tragedy," Gellet concluded.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants