Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Frenchman’s in-laws questioned

Frenchman’s in-laws questioned

Frenchman’s in-laws questioned

130126 03
Police officers investigate the crime scene where the remains of French national Laurent Vallier and his four children were discovered in Kampong Speu province in 2012. Photograph: Derek Stout/Phnom Penh Post

Relatives of a Frenchman and his children who died in mysterious circumstances more than a year ago were questioned at the Kampong Speu Provincial Court yesterday.

The questioning marks the second time in a month that the father-in-law, mother-in-law and sister-in-law of Laurent Vallier have appeared at court.

The group was brought in for questioning on January 2 after applying for titles to two pieces of property owned by Vallier.

Tit Chhoun, the father of Vallier’s wife – who died in 2010 giving birth to the youngest of the couple’s four children – said yesterday he and his wife, Sar Sarvy, and their daughter Lou On appeared at court to explain why they had applied for the land titles.

“The court said they wanted to seek the truth, so they called me for questioning, because they are suspicious over why I applied for the property of my son-in-law. I told them that what I did was following the policies of the government, according to what the village and commune chief told us,” he said.

The village and commune chiefs were summonsed for questioning yesterday, though neither appeared.

“My son-in-law and grandchildren died, so who else should [the land] be put in the name of besides the parents?” asked Chhoun, adding that he made no attempt to hide his application.

The bodies of Vallier and his young children were found in a car submerged in a pond behind his home last January, four months after the family had last been seen.

A preliminary report by Cambodian authorities ruled the death a murder-suicide, but the joint French-Cambodian investigation remains open.

According to investigating judge Chem Rithy, French investigators will be arriving next month to carry out further inquiry.

“We will have more questioning as well, because the village and commune chiefs failed to show,” he added.

Rithy said the family members remain under suspicion.

“We are not sure yet whether what they said was a pretext, but we will continue investigating,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked