Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Frenchman’s sex case reinvestigated




Frenchman’s sex case reinvestigated

Frenchman’s sex case reinvestigated

PREAH Sihanouk provincial court issued a ruling yesterday calling for the reinvestigation in the case of a French national charged with committing indecent acts with three young boys.

Peng Manet, a lawyer from the child rights NGO Action Pour Les Enfants, represented the three alleged victims in the case – boys aged 10, 13 and 14.

She said provincial court judge Plang Samnang had ordered a reinvestigation, declining to comment further.

“This is the court’s decision and I cannot comment beyond that,” she said.

The suspect in the case, 60-year-old Bernard Roland Bouillier, was arrested in March and charged with committing indecent acts. If found guilty, he faces between one and three years in jail.

Tann Mengsroy, a defence lawyer for Bouillier, said the decision to reinvestigate the case had been based on ambiguities in the evidence against his client.

He added that the parties to the case had been summoned to a hearing next week for a re-examination of the evidence.

“I urge the court to proceed with this case soon,” Tann Mengsroy said.

Judge Plang Samnang could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Peng Manet said the families of the victims had requested that the court order compensation payments and the deportation of Bouillier upon the completion of his prison term.

In a February 2007 diplomatic cable from the American embassy in Phnom Penh released last week by WikiLeaks, United States officials worried about the growing popularity of Sihanoukville as a destination for sex tourists.

“Sihanoukville is a growing problem, and one that should concern those RGC [Royal Government of Cambodia] officials who have been adamant that they do not want the growing beach resort town to become another Southeast Asian sex tourism site,” the embassy cable said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Thousands attend CNRP-organised pro-democracy vigil in South Korea

    Thousands of supporters of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) on Saturday gathered in the South Korean city of Gwangju to hold a candlelight demonstration calling for the “liberation” of democracy in Cambodia. Yim Sinorn, a CNRP member in South Korea, said on

  • US Embassy: Chinese trade does not help like the West’s

    The US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Friday said relations between China and Cambodia did not create jobs or help industry when compared to the trade between the Kingdom and the US. “About 87 per cent of trade [with China] are Chinese imports, which do not

  • Vietnamese land-grabbers held

    Following a provincial court order, Ratanakkiri Military Police on April 16 arrested 12 Vietnamese nationals accused of crossing the border into Cambodia and illegally clearing forest land. The accused are now being detained at Phnom Svay prison in the province. Ratanakkiri military police commander Thav Yen told

  • Eight people sent to court over violent protest

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities on Sunday sent eight people to court for blocking National Road 4 and using violence against authorities in a land dispute in Prey Nop district’s Bit Traing commune. Four police officers and two commune security guards sustained injuries when the protesters