Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Frenchman in court on child-sex charges



Frenchman in court on child-sex charges

Frenchman Jacques Philippe Albertini, accused of soliciting sex from three male minors, enters Phnom Penh Municipal Court.
Frenchman Jacques Philippe Albertini, accused of soliciting sex from three male minors, enters Phnom Penh Municipal Court. PHA LINA

Frenchman in court on child-sex charges

An elderly French man went on trial at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday for charges related to the alleged sexual abuse of three young Cambodian boys committed throughout 2011 and 2012.

French national Jacques Philippe Albertini, 74, who has been retired and living in Cambodia for several years, allegedly lured the three boys, all garbage collectors, into his rental home and forced them to perform oral sex on him, according to Judge Heng Sok Na.

“[Albertini] called to the victims who were garbage collectors to come to his rental house in Daun Penh district to empty his trash cans with the promise of payment. Once in his home, he captured the victims, forced them to perform oral sex on him and vice versa,” he said.

The judge noted that this is not the first time Albertini has been arrested for child prostitution. He was charged with sexually abusing several boys in France in the late 1970s, in Thailand in the early 1980s, Preah Sihanouk in 2004 and Phnom Penh in 2008.

One victim, 13, who testified, said Albertini paid him $10 for intercourse twice last year.

The three victims’ parents have asked for $17,000 in total as compensation.

Albertini denied all accusations yesterday, saying that between his diabetes and erectile dysfunction, he could not possibly have committed the crimes.

“I have been sexually inept for 20 years, and I am also a diabetic. I could not commit these sexual activities as accused. I would like to ask the court to drop the charges and release me,” he said.

Vice-prosecutor Top Chhunlong concluded the trial saying that there was enough evidence to prove Albertini committed the offences as accused and asked the court to maintain the charges against him.

The verdict will be announced on August 27.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants