Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fresh Mines Laid

Fresh Mines Laid

Fresh Mines Laid

PHNOM PENH (AP) - A Phnom Penh government truck hit a land mine in Siem

Reap province on July 25, killing one passenger and seriously injuring at least 15

others.

The vehicle, carrying 27 people, struck the mine July 25 on Route 56, 225 kilometers

northwest of Phnom Penh, said Eric Falt, spokesman for the U.N. Transitional Authority

in Cambodia (UNTAC).

The more serious casualties were flown to Phnom Penh by U.N. helicopters.

Also last week in Siem Reap, a U.N. Civilian Police Patrol came close to running

over a mine. The driver turned back after spotting a suspicious object on the road,

Falt said.

"An investigation is being conducted in order to know who is responsible for

the laying of these mines but there is no definite evidence at this stage,"

Falt said.

New mines have been laid on some roads in northern Cambodia, Falt said.

He cautioned in particular against travel on roads near Phum Kulen in Preah Vihear

province and Banteay Meanrith in Banteay Meanchey province, and on Route 6 from Kompong

Thom city to Siem Reap. Mines have also been laid on both sides of Route 68 (north

of Kralanh) in Siem Reap province, Falt said.

Route 12 north of Kompong Thom-near the village of Sala Vichay-is still closed because

of land mines and artillery fighting between Phnom Penh and Khmer Rouge forces.

UNTAC Chief Yasushi Akashi said last week that the continued laying of land mines

and other attacks amounted to "a deliberate policy of terror against ordinary

Cambodians."

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial