Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fresh roundup of homeless




Fresh roundup of homeless

Police load vagrants onto the back of a truck early in Daun Penh district
Police load vagrants onto the back of a truck early in Daun Penh district before transporting them to Prey Speu Social Affairs Centre. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Fresh roundup of homeless

In the first major Phnom Penh “street sweep” of 2015, 80 people in Daun Penh district were rounded up by force in the early hours of yesterday morning, with many sent on to the city’s notorious Prey Speu Social Affairs Centre.

Daun Penh District Governor Kouch Chamroeun said mixed security forces rounded up the group, which included “49 homeless people, 19 sex workers and 12 drug users”.

“We collected them from the places they stay – along the street near the pagodas, and in the parks,” he said.

Chamroeun said the roundup was part of an effort to “prepare public order” for a major event in the city. While he did not comment further, former Senate President Chea Sim’s funeral and the Queen Mother’s birthday are both upcoming events.

Sos Vat, a 40-year-old homeless man who stays next to the Royal Palace, said he narrowly avoided arrest.

“While I was sleeping at the park, my son told me that there are many guards coming. I was so worried,” he said.

“I brought my son to run away. I was scared because I don’t want to go to Prey Speu again,” he added, explaining that he was sent to the facility after being arrested last year.

Son Sophal, director of Phnom Penh’s Social Affairs Department, said he was contacting NGOs to offer “shelter and education” for the group.

But Pour un Sourire d’Enfant (PSE), one of two NGOs partnered with the city’s efforts, said it had heard no reports of recent “street sweeps”.

“Last year, November 2014, was our last time to welcome children from streets,” said PSE’s deputy program director Ouk Sovan.

The other NGO, Mith Samlanh, could not be reached yesterday.

A member of staff at Prey Speu, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said two trucks arrived at the facility yesterday morning with more than 55 people on board. “A lot homeless people [arrived] today. Now they are in Prey Speu,” he said yesterday. “They haven’t escaped yet – most of them are staying in a room together.”

Over the past year, hundreds of people have been sent to the notorious facility after being rounded up as part of the city’s efforts to “clean” the streets.

Since it opened in 2004, numerous allegations of abuse, rape and even murder have emerged from the centre.

In December, Post reporters witnessed a “resident” at the centre being beaten by a member of staff, while just days earlier, a man who had been detained there for weeks died after allegedly being denied medical treatment.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY ALICE CUDDY

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara