Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Funcinpec officials down new roles




Funcinpec officials down new roles

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Funcinpec supporters ride motorbikes and wave flags during their party’s parade in the capital on July 7. Heng Chivoan

Funcinpec officials down new roles

Four senior officials from Funcinpec have rejected new positions offered to them by Prince Norodom Ranariddh as members of an “Elders Council” within the party, according to a letter obtained by The Post on Sunday.

Writing to the leader of the royalist party to decline the positions, You Hok Kry, Por Bun Sreu, Nheb Bun Chin and Yim Sarey stressed that they “cannot fulfil the roles”.

Signed on Saturday, the letter requests that the four be able to remain as party members.

Bun Chin, Funcinpec’s former deputy president told The Post on Sunday that he was tired and needed time away from work to relax.

Nop Sothearith, Funcinpec’s spokesman who was just recently promoted to replace Bun Chin, said he saw the letter from the four officials on news outlets online but hadn’t checked with the party’s administration as yet.

“When I see the actual letter, I will present it to Prince Norodom Ranariddh, and see what he says,” Sothearith said.

He also confirmed that the offer of positions on the council was a decision made by Ranariddh himself. “At the moment, he is being treated abroad. When his health has improved he will return to Cambodia,” he said of the prince.

Responding to the recent shuffling within the party, Funcinpec’s secretary, Soung Phally, last week filed a complaint with the Phnom Penh Municipal Court demanding compensation of one billion riel ($245,000).

He accused five party officials – Hok Kry, Bun Sreu, Bun Chin, Sarey and Nuth Sokhum – of conspiring to end his membership in the party.

Phally told The Post last week that he filed the lawsuit as he had been assigned a job that didn’t match his contributions to the party.

Additionally, he claimed the five named officials didn’t uphold the values of the party.

“Those who have been working very hard received no benefit, but those that did nothing received the benefits. Therefore, I file a lawsuit demanding compensation of one billion riel,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.