Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Garment staff promised new work



Garment staff promised new work

Garment staff promised new work

One thousand employees from the gutted Grandtex International garment factory will

be back at work by mid-June, said the factory's labor union head, Duong Vunthet.

The factory burned down on May 21, injuring twelve people. Several others are feared

dead, although clearing work has still not commenced.

Vunthet said he had met with company representatives who told him the employees would

receive 45 percent of their salaries until work commenced at the new site.

"The company will choose those workers who were already employed at the old

factory," he said. "We were concerned that some employees would not be

able to get to the new location as it is further away from their homes, but the factory

says it will use its vehicle to transport those who don't manage to find housing

close by."

Deputy district governor Em Sokleang welcomed the news, saying he had been concerned

that some employees would have been forced to turn to theft to feed themselves. His

fear of social problems was echoed by Ker Soksidney, an advisor at the Minister of

Labor and Social Affairs.

"But right now there is no point worrying about that because until now we haven't

had any complaints from the workers," Soksidney said. "So they may well

be happy enough with the company."

He added that if Grandtex did not resolve the issue, the ministry would step in under

the provisions of the Labor Law. He said the law entitled the ministry to obtain

Grandtex's deposit at the Ministry of Interior to ensure that workers and creditors

were paid.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through