Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Garment strikers march on despite ban

Garment strikers march on despite ban

Garment strikers march on despite ban

About 300 workers continued protesting at the Master and Frank garment factory yesterday, rejecting a Kandal Provincial Court injunction ordering them back to work within 48 hours.

After the company promised to consider workers’ demands that it reinstate fired union members, workers cancelled their plans to protest at the court and Ministry of Interior but filed a complaint to the Ministry against district police whom allege beat protesters unconscious on Wednesday, said union representatives.

“The workers will keep protesting until they receive a response from the company’s director in Taiwan,” said Um Visal, a labour dispute resolution officer at the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union.

If the factory did not agree to reinstate the unionists in the next two days, the protesters would seek help from government officials, said worker representative and C.CAWDU member Saom Sokhim.
A factory officer who went only by Thy said he could not anticipate the company’s response.

“We are waiting to hear from our boss. We cannot decide by ourselves,” he said.

Ang Snuol district deputy police chief Heng Chenda denied the allegations his officers had beaten protesters.

“Please show us the evidence, and then we can take action through the law,” he said. “Our country has laws to protect the people, so why would we beat them?”

Meanwhile, workers at Phnom Penh’s Conpress Holdings factory provisionally returned to work yesterday after the company said it required three days to find whether it had been informed the workers were forming the union whose leaders it then fired, said Free Trade Union officer Ry Sithinet.

If the company did not respond by next week, the protest would continue, Sithinet said.

 

To contact the reporter on this story: Mom Kunthear at [email protected]
 

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman