More than 200 workers yesterday filed a complaint with the Ministry of Labour demanding their last month’s salary after the factory they worked for in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district allegedly went bankrupt without paying them.
Tep Ton, president of the Workers Development Union Federation, said the Chinese-owned factory, Kiang Yan, informed its 250 employees that it had gone bankrupt and closed its doors on November 4. The workers still haven’t received their last paycheck, he said.
“Since early November, workers always appeared at the factory to get paid for October, but until now, they still haven’t been paid,” he said.
Ny Chan, a worker, said she was disappointed with the factory’s closure. “We really need the jobs,” she said.
Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour declined to comment, and contact information for the company was not available yesterday. Seventy factories have shut down so far this year, according to the industry’s employer’s association.