Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Gas canisters’ caused blast at school in S’ville




‘Gas canisters’ caused blast at school in S’ville

‘Gas canisters’ caused blast at school in S’ville

Preah Sihanouk province fire experts have confirmed that a blast at the Don Bosco Technical School was caused by a leak in two gas canisters that had been welded together.

Bou Sothy, the province’s deputy police chief in charge of fire, told The Post that upon inspecting the school after Thursday’s blast, officials found a 15kg canister connected to a 35kg canister that had been used with welding equipment.

“After careful inspection by our experts, the gas explosion was caused by the leakage of gas from one of the cylinders, not lightning,” he confirmed.

According to an official report, the June 7 blast killed a trainer at the school, Seng Sarat, 35, and injured seven others.

On Tuesday, the headmaster, Ouch Sambo, said based on the authorities’ report, the explosion was caused by the improper use of welding tanks, and that new training methods would be used in the future.

Sambo confirmed that staff and students were attending the funeral of Sarat, while repairs to the school have not yet been completed.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old