Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - General in custody for pistol-whipping man



General in custody for pistol-whipping man

Brigadier General Pech Tonghang was sent Phnom Penh’s PJ Prison on Saturday after being charged with intentional violence for allegedly striking a man with his gun. Fresh News
Brigadier General Pech Tonghang was sent Phnom Penh’s PJ Prison on Saturday after being charged with intentional violence for allegedly striking a man with his gun. Fresh News

General in custody for pistol-whipping man

A brigadier general who allegedly pistol-whipped a man on the street for staring at him is behind bars after being charged with intentional violence on Saturday.

Suoy Samith, Boeung Keng Kang III commune police chief, said Brigadier General Pech Tonghang was sent to PJ Prison for allegedly assaulting a man on Tuesday.

Boht Khin San, the Chamkarmon district police chief, and Song Ly, Phnom Penh deputy police chief, declined to comment.

According to local media reports, Tonghang allegedly drove his car near a warehouse and loudly honked his horn, prompting the workers to stare at him. He then allegedly got out of his car, pulled out his gun and pistol-whipped a man on the head, supposedly for staring at him.

The victim reportedly received several stitches as a result of the injury, according to local media, with Tonghang allegedly offering him $4,000 to withdraw a complaint.

A Phnom Penh Municipal Police officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the press, said Tonghang was arrested on Friday when he came to the municipal police station to give a confession.

He was sent to court immediately after his arrest and charged with intentional violence under articles 217 and 218 of the Criminal Code, which carry up to three years and five years in prison, respectively.

Sunday night a municipal court spokesman confirmed that Tonghang had been charged.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman