Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - General hit by links to land grabs, arrests



General hit by links to land grabs, arrests

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Chea Hean, right, who investigated the land grab case, has said that it is not the first time Chea Yothin, left, has abused his powers. FACEBOOK

General hit by links to land grabs, arrests

NGO Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organisation (NRWPO) director Chea Hean and two families have accused two-star general Chea Yothin of suing them at the Kampong Speu provincial court for defamation in a 105sqm land dispute in Phnom Sruoch district.

Hean said on Thursday that the two families and Yothin were locked in a land dispute in Chambak commune after the latter accused the families of grabbing his land.

The families sought intervention from Hean, after which Hean found out that the land Yothin had taken was located inside the Kirirom National Park which is protected by a royal decree.

“After I posted on Facebook that I would investigate the site which the families claimed Yothin had grabbed, he responded by suing me on February 25 for defamation,” he said.

He said in addition, Yothin had also arrested and imprisoned a villager for attempted murder and that he planned to sue another one in connection with the land grab.

Hean said that since he and his lawyer were to appear at the court for questioning over the case, he is happy to disclose that he believes Yothin has already been involved in a total of 700ha of land grabs in Kampong Speu.

Chambak commune chief Chey Him said he did not support Yothin’s actions because he was misusing his power to threaten the local authorities to sign documents to illegally cut off the land from the national park for him.

Him claimed that Yothin also abused his powers by ordering local police to arrest and imprison a villager, Soeung Run, and sue another.

“The disputed land is state land without any land titles, and generations of families here have worked on it. However since Yothin appeared, he has been claiming that the land had belonged to his nephew and he threatened and sued the families with the intention of making them leave.

“Yothin also threatened me, in an attempt to make me sign a document to cut off national park land for him. He has threatened a commune clerk as well, but I told him that I did not dare to [sign] because the land is protected by a royal decree,” he said, adding that he and other villagers have been living there for years.

An official at the provincial Department of Environment, who asked not to be named, was hesitant to elaborate on the case but confirmed that Run was charged and put in prison without any reliable evidence.

“Please help to find justice for him [Run]. He never caused any problem or grabbed any land. People in this area do not like the conduct of the senior official [Yothin],” he said.

District governor Horn Piseth said he was unaware of the case. However, he claimed that the provincial authority had already seized the land in the area as state property.

Yothin claimed on Thursday that he did not sue any villagers or Hean and that he did not have any land there either.

However, he claimed that his nephew on his wife’s side had possessed the land there and that recently Run and Tith Sam Ol had planted posts and built a hut within it.

“My nephew told them to leave the land, but they refused. When I came to visit the land Run drove a motorbike behind my car and hit it, damaging one of the doors and blocking my way,” he claimed.

On February 24, Run had been accused of using violence on Bou Sang, who is the land guard for his nephew. Sang subsequently sued Run but the court has since released him.

“I did not sue them and I don’t have any land there. They just accused me, but I never grabbed anyone’s land. I only spend the money I have. I never harmed anyone,” Yothin claimed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year