Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - General ordered by court to dig out soil in Koh Kong land grab



General ordered by court to dig out soil in Koh Kong land grab

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Koh Kong Provincial Court has temporarily suspended the business of two-star major general Tun Dieth and ordered him to dig out the soil which he had filled in a canal in Khemarak Phoumin city. Fresh News

General ordered by court to dig out soil in Koh Kong land grab

The Koh Kong Provincial Court has temporarily suspended the business of two-star major general Tun Dieth and ordered him to dig out the soil with which he had filled in a canal in Khemarak Phoumin city’s Smach Meanchey commune after he was accused of land grabbing.

The decision was made after provincial court prosecutor Ros Saram, along with relevant authorities and specialists, conducted a site inspection on Monday of the disputed area on the orders of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Records from the inspection said a joint working group had found that Dieth had filled the Prek Kaoh Pao canal with sand, soil and rubble without authorisation, thus violating the Land Law.

“The prosecutor ordered Dieth to dig out the soil, rubble and sand, and demolish the wooden dock, as well as remove the wooden posts that had been planted along the edge of Prek Kaoh Pao to restore it to its original state.

“In addition, the prosecutor decided to suspend land reclamation activities pending a ruling from the court,” the court records said. It added that action would be taken against Dieth and his family in accordance with the law.

Provincial court spokesman Un Sovan Theany on Tuesday declined to provide details about the case in light of the ongoing investigation.

While awaiting judgement, the working group said they would continue to stay at the site to provide assistance in dredging the sand and soil used to fill the canal.

Police are using two excavators and four trucks to remove the soil, and are looking for additional machinery to speed up the work.

Provincial spokesman Sok Sothy told The Post on Tuesday that soil dredging from the canal, covering an area of 3m by 43m could be completed by Thursday.

“He [Dieth] is yet to be detained. He’s still collaborating with the authorities to remove the soil. We will wait for the court to decide on the next steps,” said Sothy.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Chea Sophara and provincial governor Phouthong Mithona to act against Dieth.

Hun Sen also warned that Dieth will be removed from his position if found guilty of the alleged land grab.

Rights group Adhoc provincial coordinator Bi Vanny praised the move and insisted that further measures must also be taken against officials who abused their power to circumvent the law.

“Law enforcement seems to have double standards. If officials violate the law, they simply sign an agreement promising that they will follow the law. So they seem to ignore it.

“The law is only enforced against ordinary citizens. It’s only when the prime minister orders it that they take action against officials as well,” said Vanny.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Cambodian Youth Party president Pich Sros, who had previously visited the disputed area, said the law must be enforced strictly against Dieth because it stipulates that state officials who embezzle state properties must be punished more severely than ordinary citizens.

They can even be charged with treason, said Sros.

He also called on civil servants to participate in preserving the state and its property.

“Please don’t wait for the head of state to step in on your behalf and address offences before you take action. You have the authority to enforce the law yourselves,” said Sros.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and