Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - George Edgar visits The Post



George Edgar visits The Post

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Post Media CEO Ly Tayseng shakes hands with EU Ambassador George Edgar at the offices of The Phnom Penh Post on Wednesday, as Executive Editor-in-Chief Joshua Purushotman looks on. Heng Chivoan

George Edgar visits The Post

European Union (EU) Ambassador George Edgar made an official visit to The Phnom Penh Post on Wednesday.

During his visit, Edgar had an hour-long chat with Post Media CEO Ly Tayseng and The Post’s executive editor-in-chief, Joshua Purushotman, on a range of topics including the newspaper’s editorial direction, the political situation in Cambodia, deforestation, and the EU’s vision for Cambodia, among others.

Tayseng explained the controversy surrounding the takeover of The Post and the inaccuracies reported therein. He also assured the ambassador that the newspaper’s legacy as an independent journal will continue.

“The most valuable asset in the purchase of The Post is its legacy and reputation for independent reporting. If we do not continue in this line, then all the money spent on its purchase and ongoing revamp will be wasted.

“In fact, we [the management] are very clear in this. The newspaper is neither pro- nor anti-government, but is determined to present news that is independent, neutral and balanced,” Tayseng stressed.

Adding to this, Purushotman pointed out that the editorial independence of The Post had not suffered in any way since the official takeover from the previous owners on May 7.

He was referring to early reports from various international media which claimed The Post’s sale to Malaysian businessman Sivakumar S Ganapathy spelt the death knell for independent journalism in Cambodia.

Purushotman stressed that no reporter in the English or Khmer version of the newspaper has ever been told to practise any form of censorship.

“The Post has not changed. In fact, it has only become better. Our reporting is more balanced and neutral, giving both sides of the story. We give as much coverage to the opposition and their politicians such as Sam Rainsy as we do politicians from the Cambodian People’s Party,” he said.

On his part, Edgar assured The Post that his office can always be contacted for comments relating to the EU vis-à-vis Cambodia and other relevant areas.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Nearly 2,000 detained for Phnom Penh curfew breach

    Nearly 2,000 people were detained in the capital for violating the curfew imposed by the government and Phnom Penh Municipal Administration. Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on May 16 that people were detained in two phases. In phase one, the government locked down Phnom

  • Jab drive announced for two more Phnom Penh districts

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration on May 15 announced a first-dose novel-coronavirus vaccination campaign for Boeung Keng Kang and Sen Sok districts from May 18-31, and a follow-up second-shot drive from June 1-15. Twenty vaccination sites have been set up in a combined 13 communes across both