Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government signs contract for infrastructure projects

Government signs contract for infrastructure projects

Transport Minister Sun Chanthol speaks to the press at a signing ceremony for new infrastructure projects.
Transport Minister Sun Chanthol speaks to the press at a signing ceremony for new infrastructure projects. Heng Chivoan

Government signs contract for infrastructure projects

Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol yesterday signed a $44 million contract with Chinese company Beijing Urban Construction Group Co Ltd to carry out sewage and road improvement projects in Battambang, Poipet and Bavet towns, among other projects.

Chanthol said during the contract-signing ceremony that the Asian Development Bank has provided Cambodia a $44 million loan for infrastructure improvements. The ADB didn’t respond to a request for comment yesterday.

He added that the project included “the construction of a total of 15 kilometres of sewage [pipes] east of Battambang town”, noting there had been a public bidding process that resulted in 20 companies submitting proposals. A garbage processing plant will also be built in Battambang, he said.

The project in Poipet will include restoration of existing infrastructure, as well as building new sewage and waste management systems, along with a recycling facility. In Bavet, the project will improve existing roads and will establish a new waste recycling facility.

Ren Zhi, vice president of Beijing Urban Construction Group, said he was pleased to work with the ministry, and said that his company was well equipped to carry out the projects.

The improvements in the three cities will account for $9.3 million of the $44 million total. Chanthol said the remaining money in the contract will be used to study and carry out future infrastructure projects.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for