Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Governments to continue artefacts protection



Governments to continue artefacts protection

Governments to continue artefacts protection

As the legal battle over the Khmer statue held by Sotheby’s New York auction house rages on, Cambodia and the US are working to extend an agreement restricting the import of Cambodian artefacts into the US.

The US State Department announced yesterday that its Cultural Property Advisory Committee will consider the renewal of a 2003 memorandum of understanding intended to “reduce the incentive for pillage of certain categories of irreplaceable archaeological material”.

The agreement still applies only to objects that may have left Cambodia after a 1999 import restriction and so would not limit the import of artefacts like the Duryodhana statue held by Sotheby’s, which was in London by 1975.

Dr Thuy Chanthourn, deputy director of the Institute of Culture and Fine Arts at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, said he hoped the upcoming discussions would again widen the agreement’s scope, to include items such as the Duryodhana statue.

The hopes of Cambodian heritage specialists are not the only links between the MoU and Sotheby’s.

Jane Levine, a member of the Cultural Property Advisory Committee reviewing the MoU, is also senior vice president and worldwide compliance director for Sotheby’s.

Last year, Levine told the New York Times and the Associated Press that Cambodia had not proved whether the Duryodhana was stolen and when it was removed from Cambodia.

To contact the reporter on this story: Justine Drennan at [email protected]
 

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,