Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt blocks Voice of America

Govt blocks Voice of America

Govt blocks Voice of America

A proposal by the US radio service Voice of America (VOA) to broadcast from Phnom

Penh has been turned down for a second time. Secretary of State Khieu Kanharith said

the Ministry of Information ruled that the broadcasts would affect Cambodia's relations

with its neighbors.

"The VOA belongs to the US government," said Kanharith. "It will broadcast

not only Khmer and English, but also in Laotian, Vietnamese, Chinese and Burmese.

The government would face criticism from these countries."

However, Edward Kaufman, a member of VOA's board of governors, said the station had

applied to broadcast only in Khmer and English. In an email to the Post, he wrote:

"VOA's rationale for requesting a frequency is based in part on the BBC and

RFI (Radio France International) - both have frequencies [in Phnom Penh]."

He said the station was keen to establish an office here as that would enhance its

ability to communicate accurate world news to the people of Cambodia. VOA has tried

for several years to get an FM broadcasting license in the country as Cambodians

use FM far more than short-wave.

"1999 was our target date," said Kaufman. "[However] a number of undecided

matters remain, and we still do not have a firm date to start."

Dr Kao Kim Hourn, a political analyst, said it was important the Cambodian people

had access to balanced information and he suggested the government should follow

a consistent policy.

"If the government allowed the BBC and RFI [to broadcast from Phnom Penh], it

should also allow VOA," Kim Hourn said.

VOA, which is funded by the US government, broadcasts in 53 languages, including

Khmer, to 91 million listeners from Washington DC on short-wave.

Meanwhile a source at Radio Free Asia said his station was told by Minister for Information,

Lu Laysreng, late last year that it had been granted approval to broadcast on FM,

but that permission was revoked several weeks later. No reason was given.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The