Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t cancels Water Festival

Gov’t cancels Water Festival

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Water Festival in Phnom Penh last year. The festival was scheduled to take place between October 30 and November 1 this year. Hong Menea

Gov’t cancels Water Festival

The government has cancelled the annual three-day Phnom Penh Water Festival that was scheduled to take place from October 30 to November 1.

The news came in a letter from the Office of the Council of Ministers that was sent to Kong Sam Ol, the chairman of the National Committee for Organising National and International Festivals.

The letter – sighted by The Post on Thursday – was dated August 11 and said the government had decided to halt to the water festival this year. The letter did not give reasons for the suspension.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said on Thursday he was unaware of the matter as he had not yet seen the letter. But he said it is likely a result of Covid-19.

Covid-19 cases have increased dramatically in recent weeks in Cambodia as the upcoming Aug 17-21 holidays approach, said the Ministry of Health.

The ministry has expressed concern and warned the people to remain extremely vigilant against the coronavirus due to the recent spike in infections.

Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine has repeatedly said that local transmission remains a real danger.

“We can forget Covid-19, but Covid-19 never forgets us. Hence, citizens should not be at peace with Covid-19,” she said.

The Water Festival is held every year along the Tonle Sap River in the autumn and draws thousands of revellers and spectators to the river bank.

The highlight of the Water Festival is the traditional boat races held at Chatomuk, the area in front of the Royal Palace where the Tonle Sap merges with the Mekong.

The rowing regattas, although only re-established in 1990 after a 20-year hiatus, date back many centuries into Khmer antiquity and many are uncertain as to their origins.

But it won’t be the first time it has been cancelled. The water festival was also called off when King Father Norodom Sihanouk passed away in 2012.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four