Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t defends acid attack response

Gov’t defends acid attack response

Moung Srey Mom receives medical attention at Phnom Penh’s Children’s Surgical Center in 2014 for injuries sustained in an acid attack earlier that year.
Moung Srey Mom receives medical attention at Phnom Penh’s Children’s Surgical Center in 2014 for injuries sustained in an acid attack earlier that year. Pha Lina

Gov’t defends acid attack response

The Ministry of Justice issued a statement on Friday responding to media criticism it was not doing enough to bring before a judge two alleged perpetrators of a November 2014 Takeo province acid attack.

The case is currently before Takeo Provincial Court with the defendants, siblings Beng Meas and Beng Leakhena, being tried in absentia.

The brother and sister are alleged to have doused a mother and her then-2-year-old daughter with acid in response to a business dispute. Both fled the scene and have managed to elude authorities for the 15 months since.

Justice Ministry spokesman Chhin Malin said yesterday that local media had criticised his ministry for failing to bring the siblings to justice and for not jailing their parents, who are alleged to have been involved.

He described this as the media’s failure to properly grasp the court’s procedures and processes, maintaining that justice would be served.

“The involved people will not be free,” said Malin. “The provincial and appeal court put [the parents] on bail.”

Takeo provincial police chief Ouk Samnang said his officers are doing what they can to execute the long-overdue arrest warrant for Meas and Leakhena, but the pair always seem to be one step ahead of the law.

“We are searching for them,” said Samnang. “[But] it seems that there is someone providing information to them.”

“We keep searching for them. One day we will arrest them – they cannot run away from law,” he continued, imploring the pair to “come out and bear responsibility”.

Meanwhile, the suspect in 2016’s first acid attack, which took place in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district on February 8, is still at large after nearly a month.

In that case, a jilted husband is alleged to have thrown battery acid at his wife, who was in the process of divorcing him, after she declined his request for reconciliation.

Meanchey district police chief Teng Sino said a manhunt was ongoing, though unsuccessful.

“We are looking for the suspect but we do not where he has been hiding,” Sino said yesterday, adding he is confident that suspect Nget Phally has not fled the country.

Ros Sopheap, executive director of Gender and Development, yesterday decried a lack of momentum to prosecute acid attacks.

“The authorities have the capability but they are not willing to work the case,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Omicron patients can stay home: PM

    The Ministry of Health has issued a directive on the treatment of people who have tested positive for the highly transmissible Omicron coronavirus variant, following a suggestion from Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of January 21. The directive permits home quarantine for those who

  • Cambodia’s first ever anime festival kicks off Jan 22 at capital’s F3 centre

    Phnom Penh's first ever Anime Festival will bring together fans, artists, shops and other local businesses with ties to the Japanese animation style for cosplay competitions, online games, pop-up shops and more on January 22, with Friends Futures Factory (F3) hosting. F3 is a project that

  • Mr Pancake or M Crepe? Tasty by any title

    Crowds of people gather around a lone man with a mobile food cart every day at around 2pm in front of the Institut Francais du Cambodge to order what many say are the best crepes in Phnom Penh. To some – even to the man making

  • Phnom Penh condo market loses steam

    Just four new condominiums were launched for sale last year in the capital, down from 17 in 2020, according to research by CBRE Cambodia. The four developments comprised “more than 1,000” units, while the 17 in 2020 consisted of 10,866, the real estate firm reported. CBRE Cambodia categorises condos as “high-range”, “

  • Fourth dose Covid booster drive jabs 43K in two days

    In the first two days of the fourth-dose Covid-19 vaccination campaign, more than 43,000 people volunteered to get the jabs, while over 4.6 million people have received a third shot. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said that fourth-dose vaccinations, which began on January 14 exclusively with the Pfizer

  • PM sets tourism reopening as centrepiece of ATF 2022

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged ASEAN to reopen tourism and trade now that many of the bloc’s member countries have vaccinated their populations. Speaking at the 40th ASEAN Tourism Forum 2022 (ATF 2022) in Preah Sihanouk province on January 18, the premier also said ASEAN has a