Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt must consider stimulus package

Govt must consider stimulus package

Govt must consider stimulus package

Dear Editor,

In "ADB to launch $3bn fund" (May 4, 2009), the final paragraph elaborates on how governments in Asia are battling the global economic crisis. "Governments across the region have boosted spending and slashed interest rates in a bid to stimulate domestic demand to offset crashing external demand for exports."

The above assertion does not apply to Cambodia, where there has been no significant increase in government spending over the last 12 months, while interest rates have remained practically unchanged at a very high level: up to 8 percent per annum for deposits in US dollars and up to 30 percent per annum for loans also in US dollars, given that some 95 percent of the money supply is made up of greenbacks.

Even though the state budget for 2009 - as approved by the National Assembly last December ($1.75 billion) - shows a 28 percent increase on

paper over the 2008 budget ($1.37 billion), its actual implementation indicates no significant increase, if any, over last year's spending. The shortfall in expenditure is due to a shortfall in revenue associated with the current economic slump.

As of today, the government has informed the National Assembly of no plan whatsoever to update, revise or adjust its budget as a possible reaction to the current economic and financial situation, which keeps deteriorating. I am only talking about the regular state budget as adopted every year by the National Assembly. I am not referring to any special measure, budget or plan.

Contrary to all neighbouring countries, no economic stimulus package has been conceived and implemented to cope with the world economic meltdown. The government has apparently no comprehensive and consistent plan to face the unfolding crisis.

I, therefore, insist that the government shows responsibility and seriously considers the $500 million economic stimulus package that I have suggested (see "SRP calls for government bailout" in the January 19 edition of the Post).

This $500 million package would be the first emergency measure designed to alleviate the fallout from the world crisis and to prevent economic, social and political upheavals with incalculable consequences for Cambodia's stability and long-term development.    

 
Sam Rainsy

Member of Parliament  

 

Send letters to: [email protected] or P.O.鈥圔ox 146, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Post reserves the right to edit letters to a shorter length.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but