Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov't plays down ASEAN split over South China Sea

Gov't plays down ASEAN split over South China Sea

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi (left) shakes hands with Prime Minister Hun Sen upon his arrival at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh earlier this month. Afp

Gov't plays down ASEAN split over South China Sea

The Cambodian government yesterday sought to downplay reports of a split within ASEAN over the ongoing South China Sea dispute.

China’s Foreign Ministry on Sunday announced that China had reached an agreement with Cambodia, Laos and Brunei that countries should deal with China individually in the dispute rather than as a bloc.

ASEAN secretary-general Le Luong Minh yesterday expressed concern that any such development would be a deviation from a 2012 agreement that ASEAN member countries would negotiate as a unified body.

“An ASEAN country cannot negotiate with China on disputes that involve also other ASEAN countries,” Luong Minh told Singapore-based Channel NewsAsia.

Chinese Embassy spokesman Cheng Hongbo yesterday declined to comment, referring reporters to reports by Chinese state media CCTV, which described a “significant consensus” that had been reached during Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi’s whistle-stop tour of Cambodia, Laos and Brunei.

CCTV reported the points of agreement were that the dispute was between individual nations, rather than China and ASEAN as a whole; that those countries should be left to settle the dispute by themselves; that they should do so without use or threats of force; and that China and the ASEAN nations should cooperate to ensure peace in the South China Sea.

However, Cambodian government spokesman Phay Siphan insisted no new deal had been reached over the weekend.

“There’s been no agreement or discussions, just a visit by a Chinese foreign minister,” said Siphan, referring to Yi’s visit to Phnom Penh on Friday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio