Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt powerless to halt logs



Govt powerless to halt logs

Govt powerless to halt logs

ABAN on exporting logs and sawn timber was re-imposed on March 31, but the flow

of wood across the borders will be virtually impossible to stop, admitted the

Environment Minister Dr Mok Mareth.

Mareth confessed that his ministry

and the Ministry of Agriculture have yet to decide who has responsibility for

the ban and there are few border officials to police it.

The government

is so short of enforcement officials it is even prepared to offer private

citizens a bounty of 10 percent of the value of timber they intercept, the

minister added

He said: "Law enforcement will be a very difficult task.

We do not yet have a system of punishment, and we do not have a budget. But we

must find a way to encourage the provinces and every institution to work

together."

The ministry also is facing obstruction from provincial

authorities on the border and, with leading officials jealously guarding their

stakes in the illicit trade.

An environmental expert said that some

factions within the central government also have a vested interest in avoiding

the ban.

Logs are Cambodia's most valuable export, with the government

owning three sawmills and the rest being in the hands of the influential

businessmen.

The feeling of powerlessness among those in the government

seeking to enforce the ban was summed up by the Ministry of Agriculture's Under

Secretary of State May Sam Oeun who said: "Unfortunately, there are people who

are stronger than our policies of forest protection."

Explaining the

magnitude of the task facing him, Mareth cited an example of a blitz launched

last year to prevent logs crossing into Vietnam from Kratie province.

The

government despatched three hundred police and 20 forestry guards on the mission

but they quickly succumbed to bribes from Vietnamese traffickers and little if

any timber was stopped.

Mareth said he sympathized with the offficials

as they were only paid $30 a month and faced harsh conditions in border

camps.

The crackdown was, said Mareth, "a failure." He is now campaigning

to raise the bounty on intercepted logs to 30 percent.

Mareth hopes a new

national committee for forest protection, comprised of officials from the

Ministries of Agriculture, Environment and Defense, will attract greater

government funding and raise awareness of the problem.

The committee

plans to meet every two weeks and organize inspection trips to the

provinces.

An environmental advisor close to the government said: "The

ban is silly. It won't stop anything. We could do a lot more damage control if

the government would open one or two regulated export centers and charge

extremely high tariffs."

Untac attempted to stem the illegal flow of wood

with border patrol teams, but the quantity was too great, said Mbella Ngongi of

UNDP. The teams ultimately opted for simple monitoring.

The original

Untac-imposed ban lasted only twelve months before it was temporarily lifted by

the government on Dec 31, giving logging companies - mostly Thai - a three month

grace period to finish contracts.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting