Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t rights chief questions US after visa request delay

Gov’t rights chief questions US after visa request delay

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The head of the government’s human rights body Keo Remy has questioned America’s attitude to human rights after experiencing a delay in his request for a visa. Heng Chivoan

Gov’t rights chief questions US after visa request delay

The head of the government’s human rights body, Keo Remy, has questioned the US’ attitude to human rights after its embassy in Phnom Penh delayed his request for a visa to visit family members who are citizens of the country, while he himself grew up there.

The president of corruption NGO Transparency International, Preap Kol, also questioned why a Cambodian government official holding a diplomatic passport should face a delay, while a political analyst on Sunday suggested it could be over a personal issue or due to Remy being blacklisted.

Late last year, the US State Department announced visa restrictions against the Kingdom’s officials “involved in undermining democracy in Cambodia”.

This followed the Supreme Court-dissolution of the Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) and the arrest of its former president Kem Sokha, alleged restrictions on civil society and a “suppression of independent media”.

Remy, the president of the Cambodian Human Rights Committee (CHRC), said on his Facebook page on Thursday that he had requested a visa from the US Embassy to visit one of his children who lives in that country, but it had been delayed.

“I requested a visa from the US [embassy]. In the past, I got one whenever I requested it. But it is strange, now they have delayed it three weeks already – offer or not. It has been about 10 days already and I have heard nothing."

“[If it’s delayed] only two days more, even if the US offers the visa, I will not be able to go [on my trip] because I am very busy. Where are the human rights?” he wrote.

Keo Remy said his family moved to the US in 1979, while in 1998 the US offered him citizenship. He said he did not accept the offer as he never wanted US citizenship or intended to return to live in that country.

Kol said he, as an ordinary person holding a normal passport, has been offered visas, while Remy as a government official holds a diplomatic passport.

“I am just an ordinary person and not a [government] official. I hold a normal passport on which the letters on the cover have faded away."

However, when I request a three-day visa, the US offers me one for three months.

“Once I asked for a visa to the EU and the EU offered me a two-year visa.​ Why does the US do such a thing to a Cambodian official holding a diplomatic passport? Why do you this, Americans?” Kol asked.

On Saturday night, Remy again took to Facebook, saying all his family members hold US citizenship apart from him because he had no intention to live there.

Analyst Meas Nee said no one could be sure of the factors in Remy’s case, but he said that it might be to do with either personal or political issues.

“It might be a personal case or that he has been put on the US blacklist, we do not know,” he said.

US Embassy spokesperson Emily Zeeburg declined to comment on the case when contacted by The Post on Sunday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Vietnamese workers in Koh Kong questioned

    The General Department of Immigration (GDI) is questioning 49 Vietnamese nationals who were working illegally in Koh Kong province to build a case and send them back to Vietnam, its Department of Investigation and Procedure director Kem Sarin said on Thursday. GDI forces and provincial authorities

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led