Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - GOVT SHAKEUP: Top judge retains post

GOVT SHAKEUP: Top judge retains post

GOVT SHAKEUP: Top judge retains post

CAMBODIA'S most senior judge will retain his post amidst a wider government reshuffle, Minister of Justice Ang Vong Vathana said Sunday. Dith Munty, president of the Supreme Court, will not be removed from his post despite Prime Minister Hun Sen's recent call for the retirement of all civil servants over 60 years of age "with no exception". "There is no information about the removal of Dith Munty from the post of president," he told the Post. But he said that the Supreme Council of the Magistracy will vote next week on the proposal to remove Phnom Penh Chief Prosecutor Ouk Savuth and replace him with Yet Chakrya, currently serving as provincial prosecutor in Banteay Meanchey.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa