Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t urged to protect resources



Gov’t urged to protect resources

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Some 70 NGO representatives, forest activists and university students signed an open letter urging the government to find ways to prevent and combat forestry crimes more effectively. facebook

Gov’t urged to protect resources

Some 70 NGO representatives, forest activists and university students signed an open letter urging the government to find ways to prevent and combat forestry crimes more effectively.

In their petition released on Saturday, the group said they had been observing the government’s clampdowns over the past year and found that it “remains reluctant to protect the forest”.

Citing instances, the group claimed the authorities had failed to shutter unauthorised sawmills and other timber-processing facilities across the country.

Meanwhile, the group continued, the owners behind the illegal operations had sent their workers to continue logging activities in various protected areas across the country.

The group also claimed the government’s failure to fully revoke permits for the transportation of timber and other forestry products had allowed for timber smuggling across the border.

They said the opening of timber stock warehouses at various locations in the form of the One-Window Service – which was introduced to expedite the process of paperwork – had exacerbated smuggling and made it easy for companies to obtain permits for the transportation of their illegally logged timber.

The One-Window Service, they alleged, had allowed for collusion between the relevant authorities and timber traders.

Forest activist Heng Sros called on the government to shut down all businesses dealing in timber from protected areas.

He said without citing sources that the government’s revenues generated from the timber business over past years were less than donors’ funds allocated for environment protection in the Kingdom.

The revenues, he claimed, were also less than those generated from the Kingdom’s carbon sales and eco-tourism industry.

“We’ve found that the export of luxury wood to Vietnam, which is not on a small scale, amounted to half a million cubic metres a year. The timber was exported by three companies in Pursat province and some other firms in Stung Treng, Mondulkiri, Ratanakkiri, Kampong Thom and Preah Vihear,” he said.

He urged the government to prevent timber the businesses from clearing natural forests in all forms, stop issuing licences and timber export permits, and shutter sawmills and all timber-processing facilities across the country.

Som Taing Y, a 20-year-old student from the Royal University of Phnom Penh (RUPP), said he was concerned about the ultimate loss of the Kingdom’s natural resources, which he said contributed to climate change.

“I’ve visited forest communities in Mondulkiri and witnessed the destruction. They [loggers] cleared forest and transport timber [for export] every day. Forest activists alone cannot stop them.”

Government spokesman Phay Siphan could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

But Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said on Sunday the government remained committed to strict enforcement and natural resource protection.

He called on the public to join the government in the fight against illegal logging and conservation of the Kingdom’s natural resources and biodiversity.

“The government has been strengthening the implementation of the law. Offenders involved in natural resource crimes have been arrested according to legal procedures,” he said.

Eng Hy, the spokesman for the National Military Police and National Committee for Prevention and Crackdown on Natural Resource Crimes, told The Post on Sunday that the relevant authorities had done their part to enforce the law but could not act beyond their mandate.

“The committee’s responsibilities are to prevent and combat forestry crimes. So if they [timber firms] follow the law, we have no right to close their sawmills. I encourage those activists to please send their requests to the local authorities or relevant ministries,” he said.

The Post could not reach Srey Vuthy, the secretary-general of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, or and Keo Omalis, the government delegate in charge of Forestry Administration, for comment.

Prime Minister Hun Sen has recently laid out natural resource protection measures, including the cancellation of permits for the transportation of timber out of land concessions and the annulment of licences for companies failing to follow the law and their contracts.

Hun Sen has also authorised relevant authorities to freeze the assets of anyone found to be involved in forestry crimes and to carve their names on a stone at the locations where their logging materials are destroyed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year