Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t to weigh Turkey's call to close Zaman schools

Gov’t to weigh Turkey's call to close Zaman schools

A security guard directs traffic outside a Zaman International School earlier this week.
A security guard directs traffic outside a Zaman International School earlier this week. Hong Menea

Gov’t to weigh Turkey's call to close Zaman schools

Cambodia will have to give “serious consideration” to Turkey’s request that it shut down the Zaman International secondary and primary school in Phnom Penh along with Zaman University, Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Chum Sounry said yesterday.

During a press conference on Monday, Turkish Ambassador Ilhan Tug said his country was seeking the closure of all schools affiliated with the Gulen Movement, founded by cleric Fehullah Gulen, who has been labelled a terrorist by Turkey since 2013 and accused of being behind the recent attempted coup.

But while Sounry claimed Turkey has yet to issue a formal request for action against the Zaman branches, Tug yesterday said it had been done more than once. “Many times during formal meetings with the Cambodian government we have expressed this desire,” Tug said.

Whether or not Turkey had the political capital to see that desire enacted, however, was questioned by analysts.

“I don’t see any connection whatsoever,” Southeast Asia analyst Carl Thayer said in reference to allegations that Zaman’s “Gulenist” roots equate to a terror connection. “Turkey’s firing wildly”.

Thayer said he believes the schools are more important to Cambodia than complying with Turkey’s wishes, saying “they are providing education and competition”.

Thayer did, however, acknowledge a precedent of shutting down Saudi-funded schools during increased fears of Islamic extremism in 2003, but hoped the government wouldn’t “overreact”.

Policy analyst and political commentator Ou Virak also expressed doubts the schools would be shut down. “I don’t think the Turkish government has a lot of influence,” he said. “[They’re] not a major donor.”

Zaman Company, which runs the schools, yesterday released a statement expressing “confidence of innocence” and saying they had not ruled out possible legal action against the Turkish government for defamation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the