Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Group ends its probe of chemical weapons




Group ends its probe of chemical weapons

Deminers work to neutralise a US-made tear gas bomb in Svay Rieng province earlier this year. Photo supplied
Deminers work to neutralise a US-made tear gas bomb in Svay Rieng province earlier this year. Photo supplied

Group ends its probe of chemical weapons

The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) wrapped up its investigation into chemical substances left behind by US bombing during the Vietnam War this weekend, according to government newswire AKP.

The Cambodian government first appealed to the international body in October, as tensions were escalating with the US.

The Kingdom accused it of not taking responsibility for its war legacy, while the US Embassy accused Cambodia of politicising the issue by trying to discredit the superpower over its purported support of the now-dissolved opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party.

Chey Son, secretary-general of Cambodia’s National Authority for Chemical Weapons, said the OPCW will test the substances in the Netherlands, but said he did not know when results would be available.

“Cambodia is not the boss of them. We are asking for help from them; [we] can’t order them to send the report this day or that day,” he said.

Read more: The day ‘the sky became smoke white’

Son also declined to comment on what the substances might be until the results were delivered to the government.

The OPCW has repeatedly declined to comment, citing “strict confidentiality”. On Wednesday, they said the results would not be made public.

“There are 29 sites of suspected chemical weapons found in Svay Rieng, two in Tboung Khmum, and ten in Mondulkiri,” the AKP article said, although Son said there are likely locations in other provinces that weren’t investigated.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.